Tuesday, April 2, 2013

13 1/2 by Nevada Barr

Wow. That's all I could say after reading 13 1/2.  Nevada Barr is probably my favorite mystery writer, if not one of my all-time favorites. I love Anna Pigeon and her rugged yet sexy personality. I love the national parks and Anna's relationship with nature. I even love the suspense, tension and danger of the Anna Pigeon novels.

I was completely unprepared for 13 1/2. It is a psychological thriller beyond anything I've read recently. Unrelentingly tense, the book kept me unsettled for days. If you like thrillers, you absolutely MUST read this book!

Polly Deschamps is a divorced Tulane English professor. She has escaped a dark past and managed to make a pleasant life with her two daughters. She falls in love with restoration architect Marshall Marchand whose own dark past has never been fully overcome. The characters partially restored lives are echoed by post-Katrina New Orleans. Darkness engulfs them as they swirl through the partially reconstructed landscape with fortune-tellers, mass murderers and assorted New Orleans characters.

If you enjoy Nevada Barr for here deft characterizations and descriptions of nature, this may not be your book. But if you like Thomas Harris you will enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment