Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Fundamentals of Drawing by Barrington Barber

We are enjoying the most beautiful spring this year. Sitting in my office I tend to stare out the window at the beautiful sunshine and the construction taking place across the street at Trinity Park. I tend to daydream instead of dealing with the comparatively uninteresting details of the library. Computer viruses? Internet connection crashed? Books to be ordered? Grants to be written? Who cares? It is just too beautiful a day.
Well, maybe I can't just ignore day to day life, but it is great to get out and enjoy the blooming bulbs and fruit trees, the perfect temperature and the beautiful sunshine after work.
If you need an excuse to laze around outside, a sketchbook and pencil are great. My son can perform amazing feats of artistic creativity with basic art supplies. In my own case, my enthusiasm far overshadows my ability, but I still enjoy making marks on paper and trying to turn them into something meaningful.
If you'd like to give it a try, all you need is some paper, a pencil and a good instruction book. The Fundamentals of Drawing is an excellent choice. It is clearly written and copiously illustrated with everything you need to know to draw nearly anything. The library has a number of other books on drawing, but this is one of the best.
So, get out and enjoy the sunshine with a pad and pencil. Even if you don't create great art, you will enjoy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment