Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ball Complete book of Home Preserving

On the way to work this morning, NPR featured a report on home canning. A home canning expert took the reporter through the steps of preserving fresh tomatoes, making pickles and preserving fruit. I sat in the parking lot until the report finished, feeling hungry.
Home Preserving, the report insisted, was not really that difficult and the results were definitely worthwhile.
As I walked by the new book shelf on my way to my office, I saw the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving and knew it was time to give it a try.
My wife and I make strawberry preserves every spring when the Louisiana strawberries come it, but we've never tried pickles or tomatoes or the delicious Macque Choux my grandmother used to make. This book seems to cover all the bases with over 400 pages of recipes and instructions. it's too bad we have had such a bad tomato year, but I'm hoping a bunch of heirlooms will come my way soon so I can preserve them for a winter treat!

1 comment:

  1. An Update: we made muscadine jelly this past weekend. It turned out really great!

    ReplyDelete