Thursday, August 26, 2010

Open by Andre Agassi

I played tennis when I was an undergraduate. It was a great stress relief for me. At that time, Americans were the best in the world at tennis. The demands of graduate school and then real life kept me away from playing for many years until I met my wife, who was a real tennis fanatic. We played often (she usually won) and enjoyed watching the pros play on TV.
Andre Agassi was one of the best tennis players of all time. We enjoyed watching his clumsy seeming play not knowing that he was playing in great pain and absolutely hated the game.
Agassi's autobiography (ghost written by J.R. Moehringer) beautifully conveys the mixed emotion he felt about his family, his personal relationships and the sport that made him a millionaire many times over. He talks honestly about his drug abuse and celebrity marriage. He details his extensive training and the relationship he had with his support team. This book is a very revealing portrait of a talented and flawed sport hero who found his redemption in love and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment