Friday, February 13, 2009

Mildred Wolfe








The world lost a Mississippi Treasure yesterday when Mildred Wolfe died. Mrs. Wolfe left a great body of work, however, that will live on forever.



The library is lucky enough to own three works by Mildred Wolfe, two are on display at the Lawrence County Public Library in Monticello and one in Brookhaven. Lawrence County has my favorite of her works, the beautiful stained glass Enchanted Land.




The library also has a book on Mrs. Wolfe, Mildred Nungester Wolfe, by Elizabeth Wolfe. If you aren't familiar with this great Mississippi artist, please stop by the library to see the originals and check out the book.

2 comments:

  1. Mississippi has lost a true treasure. She also painted a portrait of Eudora Welty that hangs in the Smithsonian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to my library's book sale (in Palo Alto, Calif) and there was a book on Mississippi artists. In there I saw a painting of a state fair by Mildred Wolfe. That was the first I had heard of her. The painting was so beautiful I wanted to learn about her.

    ReplyDelete