Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Harry and Branford - Duo Occasion (2005)


If you only know Harry Connick, Jr. as a Sinatra-style lounge singer and sit-com actor, you owe it to yourself to check out this DVD. Whatever results Connick may get in other endeavors, when he sits down to play "serious" jazz, he becomes an excellent musician.

Branford Marsalis is an acknowledged saxophone genius. When these two masters get together here, the famous names don't matter, the pop music they've played in other venues doesn't matter, their commercial success doesn't matter. All that matters is the music.

I checked out Harry and Branford - Duo Occasion (2005) for my aspiring pianist son, but once the music started, I couldn't leave the room. In fact, I'm having a hard time returning it to the library, I want to play it again and again. It is beautifully recorded in 5.1 surround with clean, restrained camera work. Be sure to give this film a try--if I do finally bring it back in!

No comments:

Post a Comment